sobota 18. dubna 2009

interview with Sanytch!


Moving of nations has good reasons, especially good for refreshment of small czech electronic scene. Belarussian Sanytch appeared suddenly and caught my special attention. So, I caught him and interviewed about Prague, music, life... have a good read!




Hello Sanytch! Thank you so much for taking some time for us! So, how are you today?
- You are welcome! I’m fine, thanks. After 3-4 week of intensive and fruitful cooperation with the customers, today is the first day that I’m a little bit free. Of course, I have spent this day, for silly web-surfing.

You are from Belarus. How do you feel about the diference in music between your and other countries?
- Of course, almost every geographic region on Earth has its own small or big differences in culture. I couldn’t say that I know enough about old Belarussian music (but I know how it sounds) I know a little about contemporary Belarussian music. Unfortunately, our music is not so famous in the world. We have 3-5 quite interesting music projects but the target audience is the former USSR countries. I’m not sure if that is just a question of language differences. But now I’m too interested in modern electronic musicians in Belarus. And it’s seems that we have all chances to take part in the world electronic music development process. If I am right one of modern Belarussian electronic ambient composers „I/Dex” (http://www.myspace.com/idexharmash) has a joint work in Germany now with Stefan Betke from the “Pole“ band. Another one, a dub techno musician Pavel Ambiont (myspace.com/pavelambiont) is going to record some tracks with DJ Pinch from UK (http://www.myspace.com/tectonicrecordings). And now Belarus has a lot of international minimal live events. Dub techno / minimal techno music seems to be very popular there now and I do like the tendency.

Could I ask you, why have you decided to leave Belarus?
I like Belarus very much. My parents and relatives still live there. I have left there many good, talented and really interesting people. I have already lost some of my friends when they left the country before me for Russia, the Ukraine, Europe and the USA. We do not have objective statistic data regarding the migration process. There are a lot of reasons why I decided to leave my motherland. It is a long story but in short I feel more like a human here in the Czech Republic. Unfortunately In my country sometimes it’s too difficult to feel the same.

How did start composing music?
- I don’t know. I've been listening to too many different types of music since I was 1 year old and still do. Plus nature presented me with an ear for music if you know what I mean. I recorded my first “album“ at my first job in 1998. It was a set of tracks made with music software for Windows 95. Every track consisted from loops of the artists and DJ’s unknown to me at that time. I recorded this stuff to compact cassettes with chrome tape (that was cool) and put them on the shelf. Some time later, in the year 2003, I started working for a design studio and when we didn't have much work to do I began composing music in Fruity Loops application. But very soon I got a new job and my music career was put on hold till unknown date.

Did you learn playing an instrument when you were a child?
- I’m very thankful to my parents that they decided to spend a lot of money and bought my first electronic keyboard. It was Yamaha PSS-290. You can hardly call it professional equipment but at that time it was a cool device for me. It was backhanded investment for my parents I guess because I didn't have any musical education. 2-3 years later we sold this device to buy me a school graduation party suit. I also have to mention an acoustic guitar, harmonica, accordion and piano that I enjoyed playing at different times but I never happened to play them perfectly.

What was your first contact with minimal or in general with electronic music?
- It’s too hard to say for electronic music in general. Maybe my first clear impression about electronic music was when I heard “The Mix“ album by Kraftwerk. As to minimal music I remember clearly that my first minimal tracks were “Loop finding Jazz Records“ album by Jan Jelinek, Pole (first albums) and Matthew Herbert (HERBERT) “Going Round“ track. They were quite modern soundtracks for that time and still are today.

I’ve listened to your tracks on myspace and I really like it. Are you planning any release soon?
- Thank you very much. I don’t know yet exactly who my listeners are, or if somebody really needs it today. I think I‘m not ready yet to say now which tracks I would like to put on my own release. But I’m already ready for „unserious“ releases :) Well, if people need it and if “˜scape“ recording label are ready to sign a contract with me for a new release – I’m in, guys :)

What is your inspiration for composing the music?
- It’s a really difficult question. My last 10 years depend on inspiration, design, photography and now music. I haven’t yet a clear answer for this question myself. I’ll let you know when I get it :)

When I listened to your tracks, I recognise some influence by SCSI-9. Do you have any artists who you really admire?
-It’s normal, SCSI-9, Jan Jelinek and Pole are my old idols. I also like Frivolous. That video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lglpD5lRig) makes me happy and inspired.

Let’s talk about your musical equipment. I’ve heard you replaced Korg for Roland :o) How’s that?
- I really don‘t care about equipment in creative process. But I prefer hardware stuff in the composing process rather than software. I‘m spending a quarter of my time with the computer, which is too much! I don’t have much equipment but for me at this moment it’s more than I need. So, I’m using 2 grooveboxes Korg electribe esx-1 and Roland mc-909. The first one very handy and I’m using it as a sampler, mc-909 has amazing synth sound generator, good sequencer and a lot of sounds from old legendary Roland tr-909 and 808 drum-machines. Also I’m using midi-controller M-audio axiom 25 with this stuff.

How long have you been doing live performances? Since your arrival in Prague or already when you were living in Belarus?
- For about one year. So, I have started in Prague with my" live´s".

Are you just a producer or as well a DJ? In case of both, what do you enjoy more?
- Just a producer at this moment. But I’m trying to mix some stuff and to understand how all these small clever DJ things work. The live playing is very energy-consuming in comparison to DJ-ing. And for this reason it really makes sense to combine them.

What do you do when you just want to take a break from the music?
- I’m working! Well, I’m a professional web/graphic designer and sometimes my job is my rest. But usually I prefer normal human rest to design. I’m taking a lot of photographs for selling and for my flickr account. Recently I haven’t had any time for photography or “inspiration“, music takes me away from all these things. I love clubs and “live“ elecronic music... Again music!

What makes you happy?
- Sanity! I like compos mentis people. I also love it when people dance and smile, I guess that makes me happy as well.

OK, the last thing. Do you want to tell us anything else?
- People, don’t worry about all those crisis things. Just relax and listen to good music.

Thank you very much for your time again!
- You too, Nashledanou : )

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat